Big Sandwich Recipe
- 1 unsliced round loaf of bread (8 inches)
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced cooked roast beef
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced fully cooked ham or turkey
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 small tomato, thinly sliced
- 6 bacon strips, cooked
- 4 slices American cheese
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1. Slice bread horizontally into five equal layers. Spread bottom layer with horseradish; top with roast beef. Place the next slice bread over beef; spread with mustard and top with ham or turkey and Swiss cheese. Add the next slice of bread; spread with mayonnaise and top with tomato and bacon. Add the next slice o bread; top with American cheese and onion. Cover with remaining bread. Combine butter, sesame seeds and onion salt; brush over top and sides of loaf. Place on a baking sheet; loosely tent with heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Carefully slice into 8 wedges. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 408 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 1162mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein .
Reviews for Big Sandwich
"I've made this many times over the years. Can make it the day ahead, just don't bake it until you want to serve it. I love the salty sesame seed butter mixture on the crust. I usually use horsey sauce instead of straight up horseradish to give it a milder taste. Great to dip in au jus too."
"I first made this recipe in 1996 when it appeared in the magazine and my family loved it. I just made it again last week and the entire thing was gone in one evening...and there were just three of us. It's perfect for a picnic or football Sunday."
"i meant to give it 5 stars! ;) oops!"
"huge hit in my house with 3 guys! only did horseradish on half due to picky eating & both sides went over really well :)"
"forget the superbowl, lets eat!"
"I've been making this recipe ever since it was published many years ago. I think I've tried it on just about every type of bread you can imagine and just today I made it on the "WINNER" of all breads. Bought a loaf of MARKETSIDE Italian Loaf ( bought at WalMart Bakery). Its a soft bread when you buy it, but when it bakes its nice and crispy but not dry like a sour dough loaf. My family also agreed that this by far was the easiest way to eat it. The round loaf is so big and messy to eat."
"I first made this giant sandwich in 1996 when the recipe was first published in Taste of Home and have made it many, many times since. It is one of my kids' favorite recipes of all time. In fact, my daughter turns 23 tomorrow and she requested this giant sandwich for her birthday dinner. The recipe is easy and oh-so-good!"
"Very tasty sandwich! A little too messy."
"My mother has made this for several years now, and it is always a BIG hit. Horseradish gives it a great flavor.."
"Fabulous! I use leftover roast beef from French Dip found at http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/French-Dip. I also am not a fan of horseradish so I left it out."