Big Sandwich Recipe
- 1 unsliced round loaf of bread (8 inches)
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced cooked roast beef
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced fully cooked ham or turkey
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 small tomato, thinly sliced
- 6 bacon strips, cooked
- 4 slices American cheese
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- Slice bread horizontally into five equal layers. Spread bottom layer with horseradish; top with roast beef. Place the next slice bread over beef; spread with mustard and top with ham or turkey and Swiss cheese. Add the next slice of bread; spread with mayonnaise and top with tomato and bacon. Add the next slice o bread; top with American cheese and onion. Cover with remaining bread. Combine butter, sesame seeds and onion salt; brush over top and sides of loaf. Place on a baking sheet; loosely tent with heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Carefully slice into 8 wedges. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Big Sandwich(9)
Sort By :
I first made this recipe in 1996 when it appeared in the magazine and my family loved it. I just made it again last week and the entire thing was gone in one evening...and there were just three of us. It's perfect for a picnic or football Sunday.
i meant to give it 5 stars! ;) oops!
huge hit in my house with 3 guys! only did horseradish on half due to picky eating & both sides went over really well :)
forget the superbowl, lets eat!
I've been making this recipe ever since it was published many years ago. I think I've tried it on just about every type of bread you can imagine and just today I made it on the "WINNER" of all breads. Bought a loaf of MARKETSIDE Italian Loaf ( bought at WalMart Bakery). Its a soft bread when you buy it, but when it bakes its nice and crispy but not dry like a sour dough loaf. My family also agreed that this by far was the easiest way to eat it. The round loaf is so big and messy to eat.