- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes in sauce
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup picante sauce
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into quarters
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; add the remaining ingredients except for tortillas and cheese. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- To serve, place enough tortilla quarters to cover bottom of each bowl. Pour soup over tortilla pieces; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Big Red Soup
Sort By :
"I thought this soup was okay but not good enough for a five stare rating."
"This is fantastic.....didn't change spices, but did with ingredients. I had leftover jalapeño, used that plus used just one can tomatoes, one can rotel tomatoes with green chilies. I omitted the chicken broth. I added also one can white cannelini beans, one can chili beans. We love the taste of Nalleys canned chili so also put in two adobo peppers in chipotle sauce for that familiar smoky southwest flavor. So very tasty... will make again!!"
"This soup has AWESOME flavor! The corn tortillas & shredded cheese make it even yummier. If you don't like the corn tortillas though, try adding some cooked penne pasta to your individual bowls. It was very good that way too. Will definitely be making this again. Great soup!"
"One of our favorite recipes! So yummy! I've even substituted ground beef."
"This was great! I added pinto beans with jalepenos. Next time I might add some beer."