Big-Batch Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 8 bacon strips
- 8 pounds ground beef
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 2 large green peppers, diced
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 16 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried celery flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a large stockpot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Cook beef over medium heat in drippings until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove beef and keep warm.
- 2. In the same pot, saute the onions, peppers and mushrooms in oil for 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- 3. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Crumble bacon; return bacon and beef to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 38 servings (1 cup each).
1 cup sauce (calculated without spaghetti) equals 268 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 617 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.