- 8 bacon strips
- 8 pounds ground beef
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 2 large green peppers, diced
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 16 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried celery flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large stockpot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Cook beef over medium heat in drippings until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove beef and keep warm.
- In the same pot, saute the onions, peppers and mushrooms in oil for 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Crumble bacon; return bacon and beef to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 38 servings (1 cup each).
Originally published as Hearty Spaghetti Sauce in Taste of Home June/July 2008, p49
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Big-Batch Spaghetti Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 28, 2009
"My husband is not a real fan of spaghetti, BUT using this recipe he doesnt complain now...It was a GREAT hit...."