Big-Batch Marinara Sauce Recipe
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 7 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1/4 cup dried basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons herbes de Provence or Italian seasoning
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a stockpot, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, cheese and herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 hours or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Serve desired amount over spaghetti. Cool remaining sauce; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- 3. To use frozen sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan and heat through. Yield: 6 quarts.
3/4 cup (calculated without spaghetti) equals 94 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 605 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.