Big-Batch Jambalaya Recipe
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cubed
- 2 medium green peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink; remove and set aside. In the same pan, cook and stir the ham, kielbasa, peppers and onions in remaining oil until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, water, mustard, parsley, Worcestershire, cayenne and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3. Add rice and return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in shrimp and chicken; cook 2-4 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Yield: 13 servings (1 cup each).
1 cup equals 288 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 1,185 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.