- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 4-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 12 to 12-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, salt and oil; stir until dissolved. Add half the flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough that cleans the bowl. Turn onto a floured surface. Knead 8-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down. Cover and let rise again for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into four parts and shape into loaves. Place in four greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30-45 minutes. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans and allow to cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 loaves.
Reviews for Big Batch Homemade Bread
Sort By :
"Can a person use vegetable oil in place of the canola oil??"
"This is a good basic recipe, but is made so much better with the addition of a little more oil, honey, and milk instead of water."
"I have made this recipe a few times, and it works just fine if I half it."
"The previous poster must have had bad yeast or the rising conditions were either too cool or warm. I had no problems and my four loaves turned out plump, beautifully textured, and delicious. I froze two loaves and when re-warmed they were almost as good as when fresh-baked. I will definitely use this recipe again."
"I made this bread, ( 4 ) loafs. and It didnt turn out!!!!!! It didnt rise enough and it was a lot of work !! I was sooo disapointed!!! I will never make this again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"