"These delicious jelly-filled doughnuts will disappear before your eyes - especially when youngsters are around," predicts Araminta Adams of Soldiers Grove, Wisconsin. "It's a good thing the recipe makes a big batch!"
60 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + rising Cook: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 4 teaspoons plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 11 to 12 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- Strawberry jelly
- Frosting and sprinkles, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 4 teaspoons sugar in warm water.
- Add the milk, eggs, oil, salt, remaining sugar and 8 cups flour
- until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Divide dough in half.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in two greased bowls, turning once to a grease
- tops. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1
- Punch the dough down. Turn on a floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in.
- thickness. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until
- doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry