- 2 tablespoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 4 teaspoons plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 11 to 12 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- Strawberry jelly
- Frosting and sprinkles, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 4 teaspoons sugar in warm water. Add the milk, eggs, oil, salt, remaining sugar and 8 cups flour until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Divide dough in half.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in two greased bowls, turning once to a grease tops. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down. Turn on a floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry bismarks, a few at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Cool for 2-3 minutes. Cut a small slit with a sharp knife in one side of each bismark; fill with about 1 teaspoon jelly. Decorate with frosting and sprinkles if desired. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews for Big-Batch Bismarks
Sort By :
"These turned out great. Don't let the words "Big-Batch" scare you. You can easily cut this recipe in half. I filled the donuts with vanilla pudding and topped with a chocolate icing."
"I would just like to know how do you cut them out, shape them. it seems to be left out of the recipe."
"My sister made these delicious doughnuts one time and they were gone right away!!!Anna"