Big-Batch Bean Soup Recipe
When I was a cook in the service, I learned all I could from the cooks in the gallery. This soup was a favorite among the men.—Jene Cain, Northridge, California
- 6 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 meaty ham bones
- 7 gallons ham or chicken stock
- 4-1/2 cups finely chopped onions (about 2 pounds)
- 2-3/4 cups shredded carrots (about 1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups cold water
- 1. Place the beans and ham bones in a large stockpot; add ham stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- 2. Stir in the onions, carrots and pepper; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Cook for 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. If too thick, add additional water. Yield: 100 servings (6-1/4 gallons).
1 cup: 78 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 1084mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Big-Batch Bean Soup
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC