"All in the family" is how Kathy Herron describes her tasty baked beans. "My mom got the recipe from my aunt, then shared it with me when she saw how much my husband enjoyed the dish. It's great to take to potlucks and picnics," jots Kathy from Jamestown, New York.
Recommended: 70 Budget-Friendly Dinners That Are Big on Taste
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (55 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 5 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until beans reach desired thickness. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Big-Batch Baked Beans in Country Woman July/August 2000, p42
Reviews for Big-Batch Baked Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 8, 2012
"Excellent recipe, but I felt like it was missing something...maybe add a little Worcestershire sauce next time."
Reviewed Jun. 9, 2010
"I make this again and again; mainstay. It's my absolute favorite baked beans recipe for my family and parties."