Betty's Burgers Recipe
"I dreamed up these cheese- and vegetable-stuffed burgers for a family barbecue years ago," recalls veteran cook Betty Canoles of Atascadero, California. "They're delicious grilled or pan-fried. You bite into a surprise."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 6 thin slices cheddar cheese
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 6 thin slices Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- lettuce leaves
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 1. Shape beef into 12 thin patties. Top six patties with a slice of cheddar cheese, green pepper strips and a slice of onion, tomato and Swiss cheese. Top each with another patty and seal edges. Season to taste.
- 2. Grill beef, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Serve on lettuce-lined buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC