Better-Than-Fruitcake Cookies Recipe
Mostly fruit and nuts, these sweet and chewy clusters make excellent gifts, freeze well, can be shipped easily, and most importantly, live up to their name. —Lillian Charves, New Bern, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep:15 min. + standing Bake: 15 min./batch YIELD:36 servings
- 2 cups raisins
- 1/4 cup bourbon or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 3/4 cup red candied cherries, halved
- 3/4 cup green candied cherries, halved
- 1. In a small bowl, combine raisins and bourbon. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until blended. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in the pecans, cherries and raisin mixture.
- 3. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until firm. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 cookie equals 93 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 40 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC