Better Than Fried Shrimp
Here’s a fabulous alternative to battered and deep-fried shrimp. Coating the shrimp with panko breadcrumbs, spraying with cooking spray and then baking give this appetizer a wonderful crunch without all the saturated fat and calories of deep-frying. —Cher Schwartz, Ellisville, Missouri
30 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 30 uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl,
- combine egg whites and milk. In a third shallow bowl, combine flour,
- seafood seasoning, salt and pepper. Dip shrimp in the flour mixture,
- egg mixture, then bread crumbs.
- Place shrimp on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; spritz
- shrimp with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 8-12 minutes or
- until shrimp turn pink and coating is golden brown, turning once.
- Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 appetizer equals 28 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.