Better Than Fried Shrimp Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 30 uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 1. Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine egg whites and milk. In a third shallow bowl, combine flour, seafood seasoning, salt and pepper. Dip shrimp in the flour mixture, egg mixture, then bread crumbs.
- 2. Place shrimp on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; spritz shrimp with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 8-12 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and coating is golden brown, turning once. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 appetizer equals 28 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Better Than Fried Shrimp
"These were very yummy! We were a little worried that, because they were "healthy", they wouldn't have enough flavor. Well, we were wrong! For the seafood seasoning I used Old Bay, and then omitted the salt and pepper (there is plenty of both in Old Bay). There was just enough of the Old Bay taste on each shrimp for it to be yummy, but not overpowering. I too cut the recipe in half (for just two of us) and also used Canola Oil cooking spray. I will be making this one again!"
"These were really good and very easy to prepare. Made a half portion for two of us of the Cilantro Dipping Sauce from TOH's Grilled Shrimp w/ Cilantro Dipping Sauce and it was delicious. We had the shrimp for dinner, but they could also be used as an appetizer. Yum, yum!"
"wonderful. Tasty and crispy. Used all purpose seasoning, Italian seasoned panko crumbs (was all I could find at the store) and regular cooking spray."
"easy to make family loved it"
"This is great!!"
"This is a very simple way to endulge in "fried" shrimp, without the expense of going to a restaurant, plus it's alot healthier!!"
"These shrimp were excellent, both with or without cocktail sauce!"
"My DD was making sushi/California rolls for dinner & I thought we needed something else. This filled the niche. I forgot to spray them, but they were still tasty! :)"
"These were really good! I bought shrimp that were already cooked and then frozen and shortened the cooking time to 5 minutes but still turned out great!"
"This has become a famliy favorite and this includes my selective daughter who is not a shrimp fan. It is easy to make. I go to a local fish market and get fresh shrimp and serve with long grain rice. In fact I am going to head out to the market so we can have this for dinner. (Leftovers warm up great for a next day lunch.)"
"These really help satisfy that "something crispy and fried" craving but for way less guilt. My family loved them."