Better Than Fried Shrimp Recipe
Here’s a fabulous alternative to battered and deep-fried shrimp. Coating the shrimp with panko breadcrumbs, spraying with cooking spray and then baking give this appetizer a wonderful crunch without all the saturated fat and calories of deep-frying. —Cher Schwartz, Ellisville, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:30 servings
- 1-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 30 uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 1. Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine egg whites and milk. In a third shallow bowl, combine flour, seafood seasoning, salt and pepper. Dip shrimp in the flour mixture, egg mixture, then bread crumbs.
- 2. Place shrimp on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; spritz shrimp with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 8-12 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and coating is golden brown, turning once. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 appetizer equals 28 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC