Better Than Egg Salad
Tofu takes the taste and texture of egg salad in this quick-fixing sandwich from Lisa Renshaw of Kansas City, Missouri.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package (12.3 ounces) silken firm tofu, cubed
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Gently stir in
- tofu. Spread over four slices of bread; top with lettuce and
- remaining bread. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 274 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 734 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.