- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Fresh mixed berries, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the egg whites, egg, buttermilk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray. Turn when bubbles just form on top; cook until second side is golden brown. Serve with berries if desired.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled pancakes between layers of waxed paper in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, place pancakes on an ungreased baking sheet, cover with foil and reheat in a preheated 375° oven 6-10 minutes. Or, place a stack of three pancakes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 16 pancakes.
Reviews for Better-For-You Buttermilk Pancakes
Sort By :
"I was not impressed at all. Tasted like eating wheat bread for breakfast. No buttermilk flavor at all. I followed recipe to a T and did't like it."
"Excellent pancake with a great taste."
"I loved this recipe, sending to my whole family! Made recipe exactly as written, result; puffy, delicious, healthier pancakes."
"Tip: Freeze extra pancakes in a single layers on a baking sheet, then transfer to a freezer bag. On busy mornings just pop them into the microwave or toaster to warm them up!"
"These pancakes are delicious! I even ate the cold leftovers for a snack. I will definitely make them again. I followed the recipe exactly, and the only thing that I would recommend is to cut back on the amount of buttermilk. My batter was way too thin, and I had to add more flour to thicken it up."