Best Swedish Meatballs Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 pound each ground beef, veal and pork
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 cup hot brewed coffee
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs and cream; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the egg, onion, parsley, salt, nutmeg and ginger. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. Transfer meatballs to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Scrape pan drippings into a small saucepan; stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth and coffee. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over meatballs.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with noodles if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
about 8 meatballs with 1/3 cup gravy (calculated without noodles) equals 371 calories, 24 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 135 mg cholesterol, 878 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.