Best Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
For a dazzling summer dessert, you can’t beat juicy strawberries and fresh whipped cream over homemade shortcake. My father added even more indulgence to this recipe by buttering the shortcake. —Shirley Joan Helfenbein, Lapeer, Michigan.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons cold butter, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine egg and half-and-half; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- 2. Spread batter into a 6-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray, slightly building up the edges. Bake at 450° for 13-15 minutes or until golden. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat whipping cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Cut cake horizontally into two. Soften remaining butter. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with butter. Top with half of strawberries and cream mixture. Repeat layers of cake, strawberries and cream. Yield: 4 servings.
1 piece: 420 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 471mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Best Strawberry Shortcake
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC