For a dazzling summer dessert, you can’t beat juicy strawberries and fresh whipped cream over homemade shortcake. “My father added even more indulgence to this recipe by buttering the shortcake," notes Shirley Joan Helfenbein of Lapeer, Michigan.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons cold butter, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine egg and half-and-half; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Spread batter into a 6-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray, slightly building up the edges. Bake at 450° for 13-15 minutes or until golden. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat whipping cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Cut cake horizontally into two. Soften remaining butter. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with butter. Top with half of strawberries and cream mixture. Repeat layers of cake, strawberries and cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Shortcake in Cooking for 2 Summer 2007, p48
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Best Strawberry Shortcake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 7, 2011
"Crispy on outside and fluffy in the inside. Very easy and quick. Perfect for 4 people!"