Best Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 3-1/2 pounds each), cut up
- 1 cup canola oil
- MILK GRAVY:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Fresh oregano, optional
- 1. In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk. In another bowl, combine flour and seasonings. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, then in flour mixture.
- 2. In a large skillet; brown chicken in oil on both sides. Cover and cook the chicken over low heat for 45 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove chicken from the skillet; keep warm. Reserve 1/4 cup drippings in skillet.
- 3. For gravy, stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until browned. Combine milk and water; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add browning sauce if desired. Serve with chicken. Garnish with oregano if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 551 calories, 40g fat (8g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 680mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein
Reviews for Best Southern Fried Chicken
"This is my first time making fried chicken, i usually bake. This is an amazing recipe. The flavor was spot on, the chicken was juicy and the gravy was awesome over mashed potatoes. I will definitely make again. Thank you for the recipe"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.