Best Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
Here's a traditional recipe from our area of the country. My husband is a ham radio operator and we've shared this recipe with folks from all over the world.
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 3-1/2 pounds each), cut up
- 1 cup canola oil
- MILK GRAVY:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Fresh oregano, optional
- In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk. In another bowl, combine flour and seasonings. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, then in flour mixture.
- In a large skillet; brown chicken in oil on both sides. Cover and cook the chicken over low heat for 45 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove chicken from the skillet; keep warm. Reserve 1/4 cup drippings in skillet.
- For gravy, stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until browned. Combine milk and water; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add browning sauce if desired. Serve with chicken. Garnish with oregano if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Southern Fried Chicken in Country August/September 1997, p51
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Best Southern Fried Chicken(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review