- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Colored sugar or sprinkles, optional
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, sour cream and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half. Shape one half into a 5-in.-long roll. Wrap in plastic wrap; place in a resealable plastic freezer bag. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Cover and refrigerate remaining dough for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with colored sugar or sprinkles if desired.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To use frozen cookie dough: Remove dough from the freezer 1 hour before baking. Unwrap and cut into 12 slices. Place 1 in. apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with colored sugar or sprinkles if desired.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Best Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
"This was one of the best sugar cookie recipes I have ever tried! They turned out perfectly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, with a classic sugary taste that is polished off with a fresh hint of lemon."
"These were great!"