- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Pinch ground cloves
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel, optional
- 6 whole wheat buns, split
- In a saucepan, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, prepared mustard, ground mustard, cloves, cayenne and orange peel if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Best Sloppy Joes
"My family loves these! I do not add the orange peel and sometimes not as much tomato sauce but a great recipe!"
"I thought these were too sweet, but my husband couldn't tell the difference between this spiced up version and the plain version I normally make."
"Oops, forgot to mention I too skipped the orange peel....and I also added a heaping 1/4 tsp of salt."
"Wow! I wish I'd found this recipe when my kids were still at home. Since discovering it, I've made it nearly every week. The only changes I made after following the recipe the first time was to add a little brown sugar and granulated garlic. Love love love it!"
"Too tangy for me!"
"It's good, but as far as low fat or healthy, NOT, it's high salt and just as much fat as any other recipe, but it's good."
"Love the fact that it contains ingredients that most people already have, and that it's not too sweet like the canned variety."
"I used brown sugar instead of molasses and skipped the orange peel. This turned out really well!!"
"These were really good Sloppy Joes. I served them with baked beans and potato salad."