- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cooked
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups (8 to 12 ounces) sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream. Add salt and pepper; set aside. In a large skillet, cook beef with onion and red pepper until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir garlic salt into meat mixture. Stir in the soup, corn and milk.
- Spread meat mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes; drizzle with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. For additional browning, place under broiler for a few minutes. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Best Shepherd's Pie
Sort By :
"I would recommend using less milk so that it does not become so soupy. The milk did not help thicken the soup. I even added additional vegetables like peas and carrots."
"Loved it and so did my familyThank you for this recipe"
"Great recipe! I made this for a small group study at church and it was almost gone before we knew it! They all loved it and went back for seconds and even thirds. I did tweak it a bit. I didn't have onions on hand so I substituted about a 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder and mixed that into the chopped meat. I omitted the red pepper and the can of corn and used a can of mixed vegetables instead. However, the recipe says this feeds 8-10. I would say that one batch would probably feed more like 4 people. I had to double it and I'm glad I did. I will definitely make this again!"
"Received several compliments at our senior apartment potluck. Have fixed this easy recipe several times. Added 1 T Worcestershire Sauce, 1 C frozen peas, 1 C or three diced carrots. Do not add corn."
"It wasn't terrible, It just TERRIBLY lacked flavor. It was very bland. Like eating unflavored ground beef with unflavored mashed potatoes and unflavored vegetables. I even added fresh garlic and mushrooms, but it helped nothing. I will not make this again. Waste of money for the ingredients. We wasted half the 9X13" pie."