- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cooked
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups (8 to 12 ounces) sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream. Add salt and pepper; set aside. In a large skillet, cook beef with onion and red pepper until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir garlic salt into meat mixture. Stir in the soup, corn and milk.
- Spread meat mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes; drizzle with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. For additional browning, place under broiler for a few minutes. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Best Shepherd's Pie(20)
Sort By :
This is a really good recipe. It didn't cost almost anything to make, and it was absolutely delicious. The cream of mushroom soup did an excellent job. I will make this again for sure.
No stars popped up for me to rate, but I give it 5! I added 1 tsp. beef bouillon granules dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water to the ground beef. I also added a 15 oz. can of Veg-All, drained. I've made this recipe since the Country Cooking book came out and it's still my family's favorite thing.
This is the best shepherd's pie I have ever made. I made a few changes and this will be a regular in our house. I did not use the sweet rep pepper or canned corn. Instead, I added 16ozs of frozen mixed veggies, putting them in the pan after draining the beef/onions. I also added about a teaspoon of worscestershire. When making my mashed potatoes, I added a tablespoon of horseradish and milk until it was creamy since I didn't have enough sour cream. I did not put the butter on top. Instead, I cooked for 25 minutes, then put a layer of shredded cheese on top and cooked for 5 minutes more. Delicious!
Never made a shepherd's pie before, but this was excellent! To speed things up, I used a package of instant mashed potatoes and it still turned out great. Perfect for a cold winter evening and also keeps very well. I halved the recipe and it worked fine. Will definitely make it again!
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Potatoes >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >