Best Seafood Chowder Recipe
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound bay or sea scallops, quartered
- 1 pound lobster meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound cod, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound haddock, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 quarts milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1. In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels; reserve drippings. Saute onions in drippings until tender. Add potatoes and water; bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes.
- 2. Add the scallops, lobster, shrimp, cod and haddock. Cook for 10 minutes or until scallops are opaque, shrimp turn pink and fish flakes easily with a fork. Add the butter, salt, parsley and curry powder. Stir in milk and evaporated milk; heat through. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 32 servings (8 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 204 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 585 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.