Best Salisbury Steak Recipe
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Hot mashed potatoes
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine egg, cracker crumbs, onion, salt, pepper and sage. Add beef and mix well. Shape into two patties.
- 2. In a medium skillet, cook patties for 4-5 minutes per side or until browned; drain. Remove to a platter and keep warm.
- 3. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in butter for 2 minutes. Stir in flour; blend well. Add water and bouillon; cook and stir until smooth and thickened. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Return patties to gravy and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with mashed potatoes. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 581 calories, 37g fat (17g saturated fat), 250mg cholesterol, 1960mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 41g protein
Reviews for Best Salisbury Steak
"Absolutely delicious. I had to triple it for a family dinner. The gravy was incredible. Only change I made was to use fresh mushrooms."
"Made this for the first time and without modification. Excellent!"
"Very good -family enjoyed! I used gluten free crackers."
"Comfort food at its best! I used a can of beef consumme' in place of water and bouillon."
"This was very easy and good, I did not have any mushrooms so I added small chopped peppers in their place."
"My family loved this recipe and we're not even big fans of gravy type dishes. I would double the mushrooms and add onions like others suggested to change it up and because we love these two items."
"This recipee was dead on. I took a short cut and used cube steak and omitted egg and cracker. It was a hit with my dinner party guests this evening."
"Made this tonight and my husband LOVED it!!! Used 1 1/2 lbs. of ground round so I kind of added a little bit extra of the ingredients, and to the gravy, along with the beef bouillon granules, I added a little Johnny's Au Jus and sliced onion rings. It was simply delicious! My husband told me to keep this recipe...so it's now on our menu! Thanks for a great entrée!"
"Quick, easy and tasty"
"We found this really jazzed up ground beef. It had a wonderful flavor and was quick to make. I did make extra gravy which I thought it needed. My husband is a gravy lover."
"We really liked this dish. I used crushed Ritz crackers and instead of mushrooms I used thinly sliced onion. I served it with mashed potatoes and vegetables. The gravy is yum!"
"made the meat the same but used a different gravy. Dang, it was really good."
"A true comfort food!!! This salisbury steak was delicious but a bit too salty. I will definitely make it again however I will be omitting the salt in the beef mixture. Thank you so much for sharing."
"Could use an extra egg, mine was kind of crumbly. But the BF said it was the best salisbury steak he'd ever had!"
"Yummy and easy!"
"This is one of the best Salisbury Steak recipes I have ever made. Yummy."
"Love this recipe I always double this recipe. The gravy is wonderful with mashed potatoes."
"This is the recipe I have been looking for thanks so much."