A good recipe for Salisbury Steak is hard to find! I remember enjoying it often when I was growing up, but when I decided to add it to my recipe collection, I wasn't able to find it in my modern cookbooks. I came up with these ingredients on my own and experimented until it tasted like I recalled. It makes a hearty meal when served with mashed potatoes. —Faye Hintz Springfield, Missouri
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Hot mashed potatoes
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, cracker crumbs, onion, salt, pepper and sage. Add beef and mix well. Shape into two patties.
- In a medium skillet, cook patties for 4-5 minutes per side or until browned; drain. Remove to a platter and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in butter for 2 minutes. Stir in flour; blend well. Add water and bouillon; cook and stir until smooth and thickened. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Return patties to gravy and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with mashed potatoes. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Salisbury Steak in Reminisce Extra October 1995, p47
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Best Salisbury Steak
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review