- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Hot mashed potatoes
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, cracker crumbs, onion, salt, pepper and sage. Add beef and mix well. Shape into two patties.
- In a medium skillet, cook patties for 4-5 minutes per side or until browned; drain. Remove to a platter and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in butter for 2 minutes. Stir in flour; blend well. Add water and bouillon; cook and stir until smooth and thickened. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Return patties to gravy and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with mashed potatoes. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Best Salisbury Steak
"Absolutely delicious. I had to triple it for a family dinner. The gravy was incredible. Only change I made was to use fresh mushrooms."
"Made this for the first time and without modification. Excellent!"
"Very good -family enjoyed! I used gluten free crackers."
"Comfort food at its best! I used a can of beef consumme' in place of water and bouillon."
"This was very easy and good, I did not have any mushrooms so I added small chopped peppers in their place."