Best Rhubarb Pie Recipe
MY MOTHER always made Rhubarb Custard Pie with the first rhubarb picked. It's one of my earliest memories of a favorite treat, so I feel lucky to have this recipe. Mother was famous for her gorgeous pies. Unfortunately, she didn't write down most of her recipes...just "a handful of this" and "a dab of that" until it feels "just right" guided her creations. -Dolly Piper, Racine, Wisconsin
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 to 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and toss lightly with a fork until the dough forms a ball.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges. Spoon rhubarb into pie shell.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, cornstarch and nutmeg. Pour over rhubarb. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 377 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 92 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Best Rhubarb Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC