Best Rhubarb Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 to 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and toss lightly with a fork until the dough forms a ball.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges. Spoon rhubarb into pie shell.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, cornstarch and nutmeg. Pour over rhubarb. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 377 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 92 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Best Rhubarb Pie
"This was the easiest recipe ever. I used my food processor for the crust so quick and easy cleanup. It came out sweet tart and creamy. Will make this again."
"I love the recipe!!! I've made about 10 of these pies for my family and friends love it! Oh and to the ones that say the pie is runny after you take it out of the oven...it needs at least a 1/2 hour to set and get thick!! Once its thick...don't blink because it'll be gone before you know it!! Hahaha!"
"I agree with the rater below. I have made this recipe twice following it EXACTLY and I threw the runny, gloppy mess OUT BOTH TIMES!!"
"I made this today and it took almost 90 minutes to make and it was still yokey in the middle...Very bad recipes. Oh... and I had used the last of my rhubarb on this....."
"The crust was great but the filling was full of water or juice from the rhubarb. I cooked it for 45 minutes and the crust was done. Is there a part of this recipe that is missing? Help!!!!"
"This was EXCELLENT. I added a crust on top though."
"Wow, this was so good! So easy to make and tasted amazing. It is definately something i'll make again!"
"I'm not sure what went wrong but I followed the directions precisely. The filling was runny & the top was crusty like a meringue. I was so disappointed as this is the first year I was able to use my own rhubarb crop and the rhubarb itself was great."
"I forgot to add that I often add granny smith apples along with the rhubarb."
"I have to make six pies at a time because all my family like it so much that they all want one to take home with them."
"Rhubarb Custard Pie1 pound rhubarb, rinsed and sliced
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust
1 cup granulated white sugar
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place rhubarb evenly in pie crust; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt; set aside. In a glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs and vanilla, then blend with sugar mixture. Pour over rhubarb and bake for 30 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and center is set. Remove from oven and let cool.