Best Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 rolled boneless beef chuck roast (6 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Salt and coarsely ground pepper
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown roast in oil on all sides. Transfer to a large roasting pan; season with salt and pepper. Add the onion, carrots and celery.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, broth and bay leaves to a boil. Pour over roast and vegetables. Cover and bake at 350° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender, turning once.
- Remove roast to a serving platter and keep warm. For gravy, strain pan juices, reserving 2 cups. Discard vegetables and bay leaves.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in lemon juice and hot pepper sauce. Serve with roast. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Best Pot Roast(2)
Sort By :
My family doesn't rate too many recipes as excellent, but this one made it to that category.
Excellent gravy! - which is my main criterion for a pot roast recipe. This one's going into my "keeper" file. Chuck roast is about the only cut I use anymore as it still stays tender and doesn't dry out as all the other roasts seem to do these days.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >