Best Poppy Seed Chiffon Cake Recipe
This attractive cake never seems to fail, and it’s very moist. It’s a great choice for that special birthday celebration. —Marilyn Beck, Medicine Hat, Alberta
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup water
- 8 eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Edible flowers, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, soak poppy seeds in water 1 hour. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda together twice; place in another large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, oil, vanilla and poppy seed mixture. Add to flour mixture; beat until well blended.
- 3. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on high speed just until stiff but not dry. Fold a fourth of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- 4. Gently transfer to an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack 50-55 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely in pan, about 1 hour. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- 5. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, milk, butter and vanilla; pour over cake. If desired, top with flowers. Yield: 12 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC