Best-of-Show Tomato Quiche Recipe
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate; transfer pastry to plate. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Place tomatoes in the crust; sprinkle with salt, basil, pepper, onions and cheeses. In a small bowl, whisk the flour, eggs and milk until smooth. Pour over filling.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Best-of-Show Tomato Quiche
Sort By :
"This quiche is the bomb! No wonder it won the Grand Prize so many years ago!! It's best in the summer when tomatoes are at their best. I also use a 10" pie plate, not 9". I think it needs a bit more room with all that goes into it."
"Used a bought pie crust which shrunk a bit, so I cut the filling down slightly but still used 2 cups of tomatoes. This was so yummy and normally I'm not a tomato eater!! Used mozzarella - think you could use any type of cheese in this recipe."
"I found this recipe a few years ago in the Taste of Home magazine. I have a family that does NOT like tomatoes but for some reason this is a recipe they love and request when tomatoes are in season. It has become a summer favorite in my family. I don't always have swiss cheese on hand but it tastes good with whatever cheese I substitute."
"Made this because my dad loves tomatoes, was very good. I used gruyere cheese in place of the swiss as we don't like swiss. Also the crust is kind of soft, I had to re-roll it as I could not pick it up. Maybe more flour?"