- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried sage
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 bacon strips
- 1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Combine the milk, eggs and Worcestershire sauce; mix into the beef mixture. Add crumbs.
- Grease a large sheet of foil. Place bacon on foil. Mold meat mixture into a loaf and place over bacon. Seal foil tightly around loaf. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Place wrapped loaf on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Open foil; drain juices. Combine sauce ingredients and spoon over loaf. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Best Meat Loaf
Sort By :
"Love this recipe! First try we skipped the beef and used ground turkey and everyone loved it. Delicious with ground beef too! We used a mini loaf pan for portion control AND I find the smaller loaves cook better without drying out. YUMMY!"
"This is the best meatloaf recipe. Everyone enjoys the favor. I always make two and freeze one (uncooked) for another time."
"My boyfriend is a big fan of meatloaf so I'm always trying different recipes. He really liked this one. I cut the recipe in half and used a few different spices because I didn't have everything on hand. It was very flavorful. I used turkey bacon because that's what I had on hand, I don't recommend that. It didn't get crispy at all and tinted the bottom a pinkish color. I pan fried leftover pieces, those were much better. Bacon crisped up nicely.-volunteer field editor"
"This was the worst meatloaf that I have ever made! Don't you test these recipes?? I threw over half of it away! What a waste!!"
"Added a little more onion, and used 1 and 1/2 lb beef, 1/2 lb pork. Family loved it!"