- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried sage
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips
- 1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Combine the milk, eggs and Worcestershire sauce; mix into the beef mixture. Add crumbs.
- Grease a large sheet of foil. Place bacon on foil. Mold meat mixture into a loaf and place over bacon. Seal foil tightly around loaf. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Place wrapped loaf on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Open foil; drain juices. Combine sauce ingredients and spoon over loaf. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Best Meat Loaf
"Love this recipe! First try we skipped the beef and used ground turkey and everyone loved it. Delicious with ground beef too! We used a mini loaf pan for portion control AND I find the smaller loaves cook better without drying out. YUMMY!"
"This is the best meatloaf recipe. Everyone enjoys the favor. I always make two and freeze one (uncooked) for another time."
"My boyfriend is a big fan of meatloaf so I'm always trying different recipes. He really liked this one. I cut the recipe in half and used a few different spices because I didn't have everything on hand. It was very flavorful. I used turkey bacon because that's what I had on hand, I don't recommend that. It didn't get crispy at all and tinted the bottom a pinkish color. I pan fried leftover pieces, those were much better. Bacon crisped up nicely.-volunteer field editor"
"This was the worst meatloaf that I have ever made! Don't you test these recipes?? I threw over half of it away! What a waste!!"
"Added a little more onion, and used 1 and 1/2 lb beef, 1/2 lb pork. Family loved it!"
"My Family loved this recipe . We will make this recipe again . So easy and quick to prepare and so nice to come home from work and just pop it in the oven .- Denise St Laurent . Medicine Hat Alberta Canada"
"This is truly a wonderfully flavored meatloaf. I have made this several times. There have been times when I have not had the bacon and this really doesn't make a difference. Sometimes I don't put the sauce on top either. The combination of spices sounds crazy but they marry well. Enjoy!"
"All in family loved this recipe."
"did without brown sugar-all meat lovers in our household, sweet later."
"This recipe is simply delicious. It's even better with ground turkey."