If you're like my husband, you enjoy a hearty meat loaf. Everyone who's ever tried it agrees it lives up to its name. This delicious dish doesn't last long!—Dorothy Pritchett, Wills Point, Texas
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried sage
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 bacon strips
- 1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Combine the milk, eggs and Worcestershire sauce; mix into the beef mixture. Add crumbs.
- Grease a large sheet of foil. Place bacon on foil. Mold meat mixture into a loaf and place over bacon. Seal foil tightly around loaf. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Place wrapped loaf on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Open foil; drain juices. Combine sauce ingredients and spoon over loaf. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Best Meat Loaf in Taste of Home April/May 1995, p9
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Best Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review