- plate. Flute edges. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double
- thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove
- foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Gradually stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat
- until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes
- longer. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 2 tablespoons hot
- filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from
- the heat. Gently stir in butter, lemon juice and peel. Pour into
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg white and lemon juice on
- medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar on high
- until stiff, glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly
- over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool
- on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours
- before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 577 calories, 21 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 223 mg cholesterol, 370 mg sodium, 89 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.