- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, 3 tablespoons parsley,
- basil, fennel, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix egg, ricotta cheese, and remaining parsley and
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spread 2 cups meat sauce into an ungreased
- 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles and a third of the
- ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 2
- tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining
- meat sauce and cheeses (dish will be full).
- Bake, covered, 25 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes longer or
- until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 519 calories, 27 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 1,013 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 35 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.