- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1-1/4 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook sausage, beef and onion over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking up meat into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, 3 tablespoons parsley, basil, fennel, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix egg, ricotta cheese, and remaining parsley and salt.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spread 2 cups meat sauce into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles and a third of the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining meat sauce and cheeses (dish will be full).
- Bake, covered, 25 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Best Lasagna
"This recipe is better than anything you'll get in good Italian restaurants. I've made this recipe for years. It is the same as my Mom's recipe, except she used cottage cheese in place of ricotta. I believe that they couldn't get ricotta cheese in Kentucky 40 years ago at our local little supermarkets. Now that I can get ricotta, I use 1/2 cottage cheese and 1/2 ricotta which is really delicious. Just be sure to beat your cottage cheese and egg mixture really well with a mixer to make it less lumpy."
"I've made this but it's the recipe from Allrecipes.com World's Best Lasagna.. and it IS! Best ever."
"I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta it makes it creamier instead of dry. But I know alot of people who use ricotta cheese. You should try it with cottage cheese sometime and let me know what you 2. My email address is, Katrinaburks67@gmail.com. thank you Katrina"
"OMG!! I created an account just to comment on how amazing this lasagna is. Thank You!"
"The best lasagna I 'v ever eat . And I made it!"
"Really good as is"
"WHEN I SEE A RECIPE THAT I THINK I MIGHT LIKE, THE FIRST THING I DO IS SCROLL DOWN AND READ THE REVIEWS. I LIKE READING WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY THAT HAVE MADE IT. I DON'T EVEN LOOK AT THE INGREDIENTS. I KNOW THE COOKS THAT HAVE TRIED IT WILL GIVE AN HONEST ANSWER. YES, I WILL COME BACK AFTER I MAKE IT. AND I WILL FOLLOW THE RECIPE TO THE LETTER AND CHANGE NOTHING."
"Delicious family ate so much I didn't have any left for my lunch the next day."
"Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! Throughout the years I've attempted to make lasagna maybe a handful of times, and haven't really been satisfied with the taste. I'm so happy I came across this recipe to give lasagna another go at it and I finally can say, I make great lasagna! Lol.. I replaced the johnsonville with chicken Italian sausage, and it turned out wonderful and delicious. Now I have another recipe for potlucks, and will be cooking this for my family more often. Thank you once again!"
"Absolutely the best lasagna I have ever made. I think the sauce is the key, so thick and meaty and like restaurant sauce. I followed the recipe exactly except I always add pepper flakes. I also think using mozzarella slices makes a big difference, much better than the shredded cheese I have been using. Next time I will double the sauce and freeze half for other meals or recipes. Can't wait to make this for my grandsons who will devour it immediately!"