- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1-1/4 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook sausage, beef and onion over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking up meat into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, 3 tablespoons parsley, basil, fennel, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix egg, ricotta cheese, and remaining parsley and salt.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spread 2 cups meat sauce into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles and a third of the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining meat sauce and cheeses (dish will be full).
- Bake, covered, 25 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Best Lasagna
"Really good as is"
"WHEN I SEE A RECIPE THAT I THINK I MIGHT LIKE, THE FIRST THING I DO IS SCROLL DOWN AND READ THE REVIEWS. I LIKE READING WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY THAT HAVE MADE IT. I DON'T EVEN LOOK AT THE INGREDIENTS. I KNOW THE COOKS THAT HAVE TRIED IT WILL GIVE AN HONEST ANSWER. YES, I WILL COME BACK AFTER I MAKE IT. AND I WILL FOLLOW THE RECIPE TO THE LETTER AND CHANGE NOTHING."
"Delicious family ate so much I didn't have any left for my lunch the next day."
"Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! Throughout the years I've attempted to make lasagna maybe a handful of times, and haven't really been satisfied with the taste. I'm so happy I came across this recipe to give lasagna another go at it and I finally can say, I make great lasagna! Lol.. I replaced the johnsonville with chicken Italian sausage, and it turned out wonderful and delicious. Now I have another recipe for potlucks, and will be cooking this for my family more often. Thank you once again!"
"Absolutely the best lasagna I have ever made. I think the sauce is the key, so thick and meaty and like restaurant sauce. I followed the recipe exactly except I always add pepper flakes. I also think using mozzarella slices makes a big difference, much better than the shredded cheese I have been using. Next time I will double the sauce and freeze half for other meals or recipes. Can't wait to make this for my grandsons who will devour it immediately!"