Best Italian Sausage Sandwiches Recipe
- 2 jars (24 ounces each) pasta sauce
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into strips
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 2 packages (20 ounces each) Italian turkey sausage links
- 10 hoagie buns, split
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first five ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Grill sausages according to package directions. Serve on buns with sauce.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 10 servings.
1 sandwich equals 454 calories, 15 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 1,716 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.