Best Italian Sausage Sandwiches
While the rich tomato sauce simmers away in the slow cooker, the afternoon is all yours. At suppertime, just grill the Italian sausages and these saucy sandwiches are ready to eat. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 jars (24 ounces each) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into strips
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 2 packages (20 ounces each) Italian turkey sausage links
- 10 hoagie buns, split
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first five ingredients. Cook,
- covered, on low 4 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Grill sausages according to package directions. Serve on buns with
- sauce. Yield: 10 servings.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 454 calories, 15 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 1,716 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein.