While the rich tomato sauce simmers away in the slow cooker, the afternoon is all yours. At suppertime, just grill the Italian sausages and these saucy sandwiches are ready to eat. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 jars (24 ounces each) pasta sauce
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into strips
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 2 packages (20 ounces each) Italian turkey sausage links
- 10 hoagie buns, split
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first five ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Grill sausages according to package directions. Serve on buns with sauce.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Sandwiches in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p225
Reviews for Best Italian Sausage Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review