Best Italian Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides over medium-high heat; drain. Combine the broth, tomato paste, mushrooms, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; pour over roast. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 to 3-1/4 hours or until the meat is tender.
- 2. Remove roast; keep warm. Pour pan drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat; pour drippings into a saucepan. Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast; serve with gravy. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 295 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 906 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 36 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.