Best Italian Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides over medium-high heat; drain. Combine the broth, tomato paste, mushrooms, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; pour over roast. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 to 3-1/4 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove roast; keep warm. Pour pan drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat; pour drippings into a saucepan. Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast; serve with gravy. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Best Italian Pot Roast(1)
Sort By :
I have 5 going on 6 children. All of them loved this meal. We made mashed potatoes and a green salad and served the gravy over the potatoes and the meat and every last drop was gone. We all loved it and even those that don't normally like mushrooms were okay with them, even though we used fresh mushrooms because we were out of canned mushrooms.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >