Best Italian Beef Sandwiches Recipe
I love having friends over for a "winter picnic" each year, and these sandwiches are really a hit with potato salad and baked beans. The beef freezes well, which makes it handy to have on hand for last-minute meals.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 2-1/2 hours YIELD:20-24 servings
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 7 to 8 hot banana peppers, seeded and sliced
- Hard rolls
- 1. In a deep baking pan, place roast and 1 in. of water. Sprinkle with salt and cover with onions. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat from baking pan; reserve and chill broth. Refrigerate meat until firm. Cut into thin slices. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine broth with remaining ingredients except rolls. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Pour over meat. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Reheat, covered, at 325° for 1 hour. Serve on hard rolls. Yield: 20-24 sandwiches.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC