Best Irish Soda Bread
This recipe is similar to the one passed down through generations of my Irish family. I rarely touch a mixer because kneading by hand makes the bread taste so good.Kerry McCormack, Marietta, GA
16 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup raisins or 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and
- baking soda. Cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk
- eggs and buttermilk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened.
- Fold in raisins. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead
- 5-6 times.
- Divide dough in half; shape each portion into a round loaf. Place 6
- in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to
- a wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves (8 slices each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice (calculated with raisins) equals 255 calories, 12 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 343 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.