Best Irish Soda Bread Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup raisins or 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 5-6 times.
- 2. Divide dough in half; shape each portion into a round loaf. Place 6 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves (8 slices each).
1 slice: 255 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 343mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein .
Reviews for Best Irish Soda Bread
"My family gave this recipe rave reviews. We all agreed it was much moister and rich compared to the Irish soda breads I had purchased from the grocery store. I followed the recipe as it was written, but it did not look like the picture. It ended up having deep crevices on top of the loaves. It took a little longer than I had hoped to completely moisten the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. So I was wondering if that might have caused the cracks. I would appreciate any suggestions as we will be making this bread again and again!"
"Best ever recipe it has just a taste of caraway seeds which give it that extra flavor. It's also very moist!"