Best Irish Soda Bread Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup raisins or 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 5-6 times.
- 2. Divide dough in half; shape each portion into a round loaf. Place 6 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves (8 slices each).
1 slice: 255 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 343mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Best Irish Soda Bread
"My family gave this recipe rave reviews. We all agreed it was much moister and rich compared to the Irish soda breads I had purchased from the grocery store. I followed the recipe as it was written, but it did not look like the picture. It ended up having deep crevices on top of the loaves. It took a little longer than I had hoped to completely moisten the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. So I was wondering if that might have caused the cracks. I would appreciate any suggestions as we will be making this bread again and again!"
"Best ever recipe it has just a taste of caraway seeds which give it that extra flavor. It's also very moist!"