Best Irish Soda Bread Recipe
This recipe is similar to the one passed down through generations of my Irish family. I rarely touch a mixer because kneading by hand makes the bread taste so good.Kerry McCormack, Marietta, GA
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup raisins or 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 5-6 times.
- Divide dough in half; shape each portion into a round loaf. Place 6 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves (8 slices each).
Originally published as Irish Soda Bread in Country Woman February/March 2010, p18
Reviews for Best Irish Soda Bread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Vegetarian Recipes >
- Irish Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >
- Quick Bread Recipes >