- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup raisins or 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 5-6 times.
- Divide dough in half; shape each portion into a round loaf. Place 6 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves (8 slices each).
Originally published as Irish Soda Bread in Country Woman February/March 2010, p18
Reviews for Best Irish Soda Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 19, 2014
"Best ever recipe it has just a taste of caraway seeds which give it that extra flavor. It's also very moist!"