Best Hush Puppies Recipe
Some years ago, I was a cook on a large cattle ranch. One day, I thought back to the hush puppies I'd had as a child on a Southern trip...and ended up creating my own version of them. They go well as part of an old-fashioned fried chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy, buttermilk biscuits, corn on the cob and watermelon pickles! My husband is a farmer and also a truck driver. We have two grown children and two younger ones, 6 and 2.
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup cream-style corn
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add egg, milk and corn; stir just until mixed.
- 2. In a deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into oil. Fry until golden brown.
- 3. Allow to cool slightly and roll in confectioners' sugar if desired. Serve immediately with fried chicken, ham or sausage. Yield: 12-15 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC