Best Hush Puppies
Some years ago, I was a cook on a large cattle ranch. One day, I thought back to the hush puppies I'd had as a child on a Southern trip...and ended up creating my own version of them. They go well as part of an old-fashioned fried chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy, buttermilk biscuits, corn on the cob and watermelon pickles!
My husband is a farmer and also a truck driver. We have t
12-15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup cream-style corn
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and
- baking soda. Add egg, milk and corn; stir just until mixed.
- In a deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by
- teaspoonfuls into oil. Fry until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly and roll in confectioners' sugar if desired.
- Serve immediately with fried chicken, ham or sausage. Yield: 12-15