Best Ever Roast Beef Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 pounds), trimmed
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1-1/3 cups plus 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cut roast in half. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; add onion and 1-1/3 cups water. In a small bowl, combine the soup, brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger and pepper; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter and keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Best Ever Roast Beef(5)
Sort By :
I wish I had read the reviews first; it was very sweet. I will cut the brown sugar next time. However, it was very tasty and tender, and my kids ate every last bite. Even my husband who doesn't care much for traditional roast beef liked this very much.
Since I don't like French Onion Soup I just used beef broth. It was good. Not the best ever but still really good.
This was NOt the best ever roast beef. It was good, but the gravy was too sweet. I followed directions exactly, but I think 1 cup of brown sugar was just too much. If I make this again, I will definitely at least half the sugar. I had to add salt to cut some of the sweetness. The meat was tender, though, and it did make quite a bit of gravy.
Good but not great. Too sweet for my liking, but the meat was tender.
This was good but not great. I might make it again, but there are other roast beef recipes I like better and that my family likes better. I felt like the flavors could be stronger, which surprises me because I thought the soy sauce and ginger would come through more. I did add mushrooms in addition to the onion.