You'll be surprised at the taste of this rich, cheesy concoction - it's not a typical potato soup. I came up with the recipe after enjoying baked potato soup at one of our favorite restaurants. I added bacon, and we think that makes it even better. -Coleen Morrissey, Sweet Valley, Pennsylvania
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon each celery seed, salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp; drain. Add the potatoes, broth, carrot, onion, parsley, celery seed, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add cheese; stir until cheese is melted and the soup is heated through. Garnish with green onions if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Best-Ever Potato Soup in Quick Cooking January/February 1999, p31
Reviews for Best-Ever Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review