Best-Ever Potato Soup Recipe
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon each celery seed, salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp; drain. Add the potatoes, broth, carrot, onion, parsley, celery seed, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add cheese; stir until cheese is melted and the soup is heated through. Garnish with green onions if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Best-Ever Potato Soup
Sort By :
"Very good. Yummmm"
"Cooked slices of Bacon disappears at my house, so I sauteed Double the onions and carrots in bacon grease. Added 32 oz of chicken broth. Doubled spices and potatoes. Kept the milk, flour and velveeta as called in recipe. Sprinkled bacon bits in each bowl. Amazing!!!"
"A LNG-time family favorite! I've made this many times, with and without the bacon. It's great both ways. Nothing better on a cold winter day. My husband says he'd pay for this soup!"
"This is awesome! I may add a little cayenne to kick it up a notch, but really good just the way it is."
"I added a bit more carrot and used Kraft Cheddar Cheese blend with Philadelphia Cream Cheese in it. It was very very good and extremely simple. I also used fresh parsley. It was a hit with all my family. My grandma and my stepmom both asked for my recipe!"