- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 pieces string cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package (3 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, 2 tablespoons oil and 2-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a greased 14-in. pizza pan, letting dough drape over the edge. Cut string cheese pieces in half lengthwise; place around edge of pan. Fold dough over string cheese; pinch to seal.
- Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Brush with remaining oil; sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Spread over crust. Arrange pepperoni over top; sprinkle with Italian cheese blend. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 slices.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Best-Ever Pepperoni Pizza
"Loved this recipe. Half of our family likes spicy foods and the other half does not but this sauce was perfectly in the middle and everyone loved it. My kids especially liked the cheese in the crust. We are already looking forward to making this recipe again."
"This pertains to the sauce only. Very good and the "END" product was very tasteful."
"I will cut back on the cayenne pepper the next time I make this."
"I thought this tasted very close to what you would get in a restaurant, and I couldn't believe how quickly it all came together. My 2-y.o. liked the surprise of the cheese in the crust! I haven't made that many yeast-based recipes but this one was a no-fail one!"