Best-Ever Meat Loaf Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 slices bread, torn
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, thyme or sage, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk and bread; let stand until liquid is absorbed. Stir in the onion, carrot, cheese and seasonings. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into a 7-1/2-in. x 3-1/2-in. x 2-1/2-in. loaf in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes.
- 3. Combine the topping ingredients; spoon half of the mixture over meat loaf. Bake 30 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°, occasionally spooning remaining topping over loaf. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 398 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 164 mg cholesterol, 771 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.